Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Jeff "Villains & Vigilantes" Dee

 Jeff Dee is an American artist and game designer and a well recognized figure in the role-playing game community and game industry.

Jeff is probably most famous for co-creating Villains & Vigilantes with Jack Herman whilst still a Teenager in the 1970's.


Jeff went on to illustrate a load of material for Dungeons & Dragons and Advanced Dungeons & Dragons -  comprising of interior artwork for manuals and illustrations and covers for adventure modules for both games.

Some of his most recognized work can be found in the 1st Edition Deities & Demigods book - along with Erol Otus, Jim Roslof, David S. LaForce, David C. Sutherland III and David A. Trampier - Jeff Dee is recognized as a member of the "first-generation" of D&D artists.


Rather than bandy on about his body of D&D work (which don't get me wrong I love) I want to celebrate his Superhero Art.

Villains & Vigilantes is a fantastic game also had some outstanding modules and source-books - but at the end of the day it was the imagery that caught my attention, the original rulebook was quite slim really. But the eye-candy was an absolute winner.


If you want to have a look at some of Jeffs superhero work, I suggest the following links -

Jeff Dee's Deviant Art Gallery

The Unofficial Jeff Dee Gallery Pages

It is of the Era it is, very 80's - but its clean and very imaginative - and (IMHO) Great!

2 comments:

Stoelzel's Structures said...

Thanks for this one, The V&V artwork is one of those iconic sets of images from my childhood. I had no clue those were by the same person of Deities and Demigods fame, but I can certainly see it now.

Doctor Warlock said...

My Pleasure! I love DEE's Stuff, the cover I posted is the actual first copy of V&V I ever bought - although my copy is in no-way that good condition anymore, its well read and well loved.